Body weight exercises refer to exercises that rely on your own weight to provide resistance against gravity. They are simple yet effective in not only helping you lose weight but also building strength, power, endurance, flexibility, coordination and balance.
What are the benefits of body weight exercises?
- You do not need equipment to perform them.
- You can basically do this anywhere. No need for gym memberships
- Everyone can do it–even beginners.
- You can modify the movements to progress over time.
- A lot of these work a variety of muscle groups at the same time to help provide you a total body workout.
Here’s a list of 8 effective body weight exercises you need to start adding to your routine.
1. Push up
5. Glute bridge
6. Tricep dip
8. Mountain climbers
How can you incorporate bodyweight exercises in your workouts?
Quality over quantity–always. The goal is to not perform as many reps as you can. Aim for proper form and you’ll reap the benefits and prevent injury! Depending on your fitness level, aim for 12-20 repetitions and do 3-5 sets. Listen to your body and push when you can. Your muscles should be fatigued at the end but not strained or in pain.